Brand New Chimichanga

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Free Fallin'

Today I've felt a mix of nerves and excitement. I can't say it's a pleasant sensation for me but I think it's one I'm going to have to get used to considering the turn my life is about to take. I'm starting to get a bit nervous and frankly a little scared about all the changes that are about to happen. I'm going back to school at the ripe old age of (almost) 30 to (hopefully) begin a new career as, well, I don't know yet.

I guess I'm starting to get a bit freaked out at this vast undertaking. I can't claim to be a big risk taker, cause I'm not, and I think this is possibly the biggest and most expensive risk I've ever taken. On the one hand, I think this is a good thing because I hope it will allow me to be truly happy in my career, but on the other I'm terrified that I'm making a huge mistake. I guess if you knew how things would turn out then they wouldn't be called risks, but like I said I'm not really a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of girl. I find comfort in security.

I'm not so much worried that I won't do well in school. I think I'm going to be a much better student this time around and I still managed to graduate from a very tough program the first time. I just think the enormity of this complete 360 is beginning to sink in. I'm leaving everything I know behind. I'm leaving security, companionship, comfort, a social life, even love (how ever fucked up it may be) to take a gamble on myself. I just hope in the end it turns out to be worth it, but I just keep reminding myself that ultimately I'm worth it.

3 Comments:

At 16/8/06 7:19 AM, Blogger Sally O'Malley said...

I've never taken a risk that I haven't been rewarded for in some way or another. I think about how terrified I was to head to Washington when I was twenty, had no money, and knew no one - and I'm SO grateful that I did it. I met amazing people and my world literally expanded. My first summer there changed me in ways nothing else could have (even if I still don't know what a cat dive is...) You'll be glad you did this, even if it's hard at times.

 
At 16/8/06 9:03 PM, Blogger DrinkJack said...

We get as much out of life as we put into it. You may have done a 360, but let's face it, you are definitely making forward progress :)

 
At 21/8/06 12:56 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

I'm sure I should say somethign wise right now, but the truth is that my brain is mush after driving 14 hours yesterday.

hang in there, momma. change is good. not easy, but good for the soul.

and don't forget... you already have a friend in charlotte (well, huntersville) if you need anything!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home