Brand New Chimichanga

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Will to Live

Okay so things are pretty much progressing smoothly with the whole school thing. Orientation was good. I made a friend, found out some more information about my classes and got my schedule. I also got fitted for my "uniform" which was interesting. Needless to say I won't be winning any beauty contests in that outfit but I'm not going to culinary school to be beautiful. I got my first round of immunization shots (damn my arm is sore). I finally heard back from the financial aid people. The only thing that is giving me pause at this point is trying to find a place to live.

I'm too old to live in the dorms (not that I would want to anyway). I looked into an apartment complex reserved just for students but you have to live with 3 other people and share a common space, kitchen and bathroom. That would be fine if I was 23 but I'm not. I'm almost 30 and I have no desire to be Den-Mother to 3 overgrown teenagers. Apartments near the school are super expensive, but I also don't want to live too far away either, because between gas and parking I'll end up spending just as much. It's like a catch twenty-two. Damned if I do and damned if I don't. The cost of school is mostly covered by scholarships, grants and loans but it looks like I'm going to have to take out a private loan just to pay for some digs. I just hope I can nail something down soon that fits my criteria: close to school, reasonable rent, safe. That may be a tall order...

1 Comments:

At 15/8/06 7:22 PM, Blogger DrinkJack said...

Happy hunting :) Maybe you could find a good roommate once you get settled.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home