Brand New Chimichanga

Friday, July 28, 2006

My Future's So Bright (I Gotta Wear Shades)

About three weeks went by and I never heard from Tommy. I cried everyday of the first week I was in Atlanta and I missed him terribly. I was so upset because of the way things were left between the two of us. I thought of him at least once every day. I finally went back to Alabama to get some more of my stuff and decided not to give him any advance warning. CAT knew I was coming but I told her to keep it under wraps. I showed up at "the bar" on a night I knew he'd be working.

He was polite when I came in and asked how I was. He wasn't rude but he was treating me like someone he barely knew. I was there to have fun with CAT and yet I couldn't completely enjoy myself because Tommy was acting so oddly towards me. It just made my heart ache even worse than it already did.

Before I left that night I did give him the photo album I'd made for him and he thanked me. He even gave me a hug. Things still didn't feel right though. I spent the rest of the night (after CAT went home) talking to the drummer in his band about every thing that was going on with Tommy. This is why I love the Drummer Boy so much. He patiently listened to me and comforted me all night. He told me that Tommy really did love me and he was being a dick because he was upset that I left. Drummer Boy also told me that even though it was obvious that we loved each other very much, we could never be together. Yeah tell me something I don't know.

I eventually went home. Before leaving "the bar", I hugged Tommy bye and told him that maybe the next time I was in town he could act like he actually knew me.

The next day I was still in Alabama when CAT got off work. I met her at "the bar". We were hanging out for a while and eventually Tommy came in. He spoke when he came in but sat down at the other end of the bar. After what seemed like an eternity, Tommy finally decided to come sit down beside me. We sat there for a while making idle chit-chat when he finally brought up the day I left. He informed me that I never called him to let him know when I needed him to help me move.

So thus began our heart to heart talk sitting at "the bar". We were finally just honest with each other. He did ignore my phone call the day I moved because he was pissed at me. He found out about the Young Republican literally before I'd even made it back to "the bar" that night. How he found out so quickly I'll never know. I had to counter with the fact that he and I had been hanging out together plenty of times and he'd leave with some girl and go do God knows what with her and then come back in the bar and end up going home with me later. I pointed out that I never got upset (okay I never let him know I was upset) about it and never said a word about it. His excuse was that everyone expected him to be a dick and do things like that but he didn't expect it of me. Yes I called bullshit on that. If he can do it so can I.

Anyway he admitted that he was being a dick because he was upset that I was leaving. I told him that the only reason I slept the Young Republican the night before I moved was because I was hurt that he was being a dick. Then we both told each other how much we had missed the other and that we'd both acted like asses because we were both hurt. Imagine that, the truth actually made everything better. After our big old chat fest everything felt much better. Things felt as normal as they could considering the situation now. I left to come back to Atlanta still missing him but not nearly so miserable about it. Things were right in the world of Carlotta and Tommy once again. Now he calls me every week or so just to see how I am and I like that we can still be friends.

On to the best part of me moving to Atlanta. I finally found my direction. On a whim I contacted a culinary school here in town and went to an open house that they hosted. I had a great time and got really excited about the thought of pursuing that dream. I did some checking into some other culinary schools in the southeast. After visiting another school, I decided that it just felt right and that I should go for it. So I applied to the school and Monday I got my acceptance letter! I'm off to Charlotte in roughly a month to start culinary school. I literally can't wait. I honestly can't remember the last time I was this excited about something. This just feels like what I'm supposed to be doing.

5 Comments:

At 28/7/06 6:48 PM, Blogger d-town said...

"Yeah, I call bullshit on that one." Classic Pookie Mama, I love it. I definitely recall you saying that in my presence as you were telling a story more than once.

She gone get her degree in cookin'!

 
At 28/7/06 8:22 PM, Blogger DrinkJack said...

I thought the world looked a little straighter lately. Must have been you :)

 
At 29/7/06 6:37 PM, Blogger Erin said...

yay!! congratulations!

 
At 30/7/06 9:08 AM, Blogger Sally O'Malley said...

When you open your restaurant, I'll be your sommelier - or your official taste-tester... one way or another, I'll contribute!

 
At 1/8/06 9:06 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

what?? you're going to be in Charlotte??? are you going to Johnson and Wells? or is it Wales?


either way.. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm so very excited for you to be heading down this new path.. and jealous, too. culinary school! how exciting!


listen.. if you ever need anything while in charlotte... do NOT hesitate to contact me!

czernikowski@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home