Brand New Chimichanga

Monday, March 27, 2006

Good Day Sunshine

Okay bear with me here, cause I don't necessarily think of myself as negative, though I'll give you cynical. I am what I am. Being that it's a Monday, and I hate Mondays, and seeing that I'm feeling especially optimistic and bright, it's a little off-putting. I'm trying to take advantage though.

I made quite the declaration at the beginning of this fine year and I'm trying to stick with it. There has been a time or two, when yes I got a little mired down in the muckity-muck, but I've done my best to shake it off and get back to the bright and shiny outlook. Well getting off my ass may not seem like much of an accomplishment, but believe me it is. I GOT OFF MY ASS! YEAH ME!

Okay a little explanation is in order. For, well almost two years now, I've had this love/hate idea with going to grad school. I've pretty much hated this job since I started it 6 years ago and haven't had much luck in locating another. Well then it became clear that I really had no interest in continuing with this line of work and one thing led to another and I came up with grad school. In order to get accepted to grad school, any grad school, I of course have to take the GRE. I've been putting off the GRE for a little over a year now. I suck at math and my "practice score" scared the hell out of me to the point that I've been petrified to take the damn thing.

I didn't relish the idea of my big, fat failure staring me in the face, so I've taken up residence in the "avoidance stage" of my psyche for quite some time now. I talking to the point where I bought a cottage and started renovations, point of avoidance. Well I think I just evicted myself from avoidance-ville. On April 5, at 12:00 pm EST, I will be taking the GRE. I finally decided that even if I failed (and as much as I HATE to fail at anything) that I just needed to do it and get it over with. If I completely bomb the damn thing then I'll just take it again (up to 5 times, once a month, until 2007 if need be). So for the next week and a half I'm going to be cramming my ass off! Wish me luck.

5 Comments:

At 28/3/06 11:08 AM, Blogger Sally O'Malley said...

I promise it's not so bad. And honestly, if a program likes your resume/work experience (even if unrelated to proposed course of study)/personal statement, they'll let you fudge a little on the scores - ask Kim! She's got into a fantastic, nationally-ranked program with just okay scores. You can do it! Hell, maybe you'll blow the test away - you really never know.

 
At 30/3/06 9:20 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Good for you! Good luck. I took the gmat and it wasn't as bad as I thought.

 
At 30/3/06 8:37 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

hey Carlotta... that's GREAT! good for you!!


seriously-- I'm sure you'll do fine, but still.. just taking that first step is awesome! best of luck to you!



and ok... so what's become of Tommy and bartender??? now that I'm back, i need my "young and the restless" updates!!! :)

XXOO congrats again, and good luck on the tests!

 
At 3/4/06 10:01 PM, Blogger DrinkJack said...

Go kick some GRE ass :)

 
At 5/4/06 9:48 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

I hope the test went well today!!!!

XXOO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home