Brand New Chimichanga

Thursday, May 10, 2007

We Are Family

It seems that a family crisis can bring about many things. Some families choose to pull together and other families are completely torn apart. I would like to think that my family would choose to pull together and support one another, and my immediate family would. My extended family on the other hand is a completely different story. I am very sad to say that I have some of the most infantile, selfish people in my extended family. Most times I'm ashamed that we come from the same gene pool.

My grandmother is in the hospital at the moment and it's pretty much touch and go at this point. In fact she was doing so poorly last night that my parents had to have a serious talk about calling me and asking me to leave school and come home. They ultimately decided to wait until morning and re-evaluate the situation. Thankfully she pulled through the night and has improved a bit over the course of the day. By no means is she out of the woods, but improvement is improvement.

My mother who married into this family, has gone to the hospital daily, missed work, and rearranged her schedule to be there for my grandmother and my father. In fact she is the one who has helped to care for my grandmother and even took her to the hospital. My mother is seeking nothing in return for her efforts. She loves my grandmother and my father and this is just what you do for your family. It's as simple as that.

One of my grandmother's own children it seems is too busy to make the trip from out of town to come see her. Not only is this woman in ICU but it's Mother's Day weekend and her 85th birthday is in 8 days. Oh and I'd like to mention that said child is RETIRED! Not only is her child not coming but they also see fit not to return my parents phone calls to keep them updated and choose to speak directly with the nurses at the hospital. Can I add that my own mother is a nurse in an ICU unit at a much larger hospital? Plus when the jackass calls to speak with the nurses they are completely rude! These people are taking care of their mother and they deserve more respect than to be talked to so rudely.

The whole situation just pisses me off...

4 Comments:

At 12/5/07 8:20 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all of this, momma.


big hugs and prayers for the health of your grandmother. I also hope your mom doesn't lose heart based on the peripheral family's actions.

happy 6 months, btw... that's really fantastic!!! how is school going?

wishing you all the best!

xxoo

 
At 12/5/07 5:53 PM, Blogger DrinkJack said...

Sending good vibes. Times of crisis always brings out the true self. Take care

 
At 15/5/07 2:11 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandma. I hope things get better with the family.

 
At 13/1/08 7:12 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

hey momma.. long time no posts. touch base if/when you get a chance. wanted to check how you were doing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home